Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Wierd Weight Changes of Marathon Week

Yep, this was marathon week. I ran 26.2 miles yesterday and finished just under 5 hours (4:50:53) which is a lot faster than I thought I was going to run it. I ran the first half of the marathon in 2:20 and thought I ran the last half sooo much slower (The last 4 miles I would walk 1-2 minutes and then run the rest of that mile - a strategy I was taught by a 70 y/o marathoner I met at the beginning of the race) but I only added 10 more minutes to that last half so I was pretty excited about that!

Anyway, this is a weight loss blog not a "go-on-and-on-about-my-marathon" blog so I will get back to the weight issue...

I carb loaded this week (lots of pancakes, french toast, spaghetti, lasagna, and ravioli...yummy!) with the goal of maintaining my weight within a half pound. Sure enough I weighed in at 4am Saturday AM at a 1/2lb gain and then left for the marathon. I thought it would be fun to weigh in after the marathon too. Despite drinking a LOT of water and a medium sized berry julius in the hour between the marathon and when I weighed in at home, I had lost 3 lbs. Of course I was probably still quite dehydrated and had no food bulk in me at all!

And now, after a cheese stick, a Six-dollar Western Bacon Cheeseburger, several brownies, and 3 slices of pizza (not the wheat kind), I ended up this morning completely even with last week.

That's right, this was a VERY long post to essentially say...I maintained! But it sure was a fun way to do it!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

So when do you start training for the ironman? :)

Mark said...

hmm...2+ miles swimming, 112 miles biking and a marathon to top it off...sounds tempting! NOT!!!